Spline Radial Panel (SRP) Concentrators are based on radio frequency (RF) antenna technology:
- Two 13 m dishes planned for ASEAN Cellular Satellite (June 1999 launch)
- Benefits include low mass, low volume, ease of deployment
The illustration above depicts an SRP concentrator in both a deployed and a stowed state showing support cables, hub assembly, and bi-folding ribs.
Key technology challenge is reflective spline development:
- Fabrication Process
- Space Environment Performance/Durability
Current development status:
- Conceptual design complete (Harris)
- Two vendors, three processes evaluated for spline manufacturing
- Graphite Replication (COI)
- Graphite Cocure (COI)
- Hydroformed Al (Anderson/Alcoa)
- Atomic oxygen durability tested
The images above depict a demonstration model of the deployment truss structure.